Originally published January 2014, updated December 2016
There is nothing worse than walking into or waking up to a cold home. If this happens to you, your thoughts may immediately race to the worst possible scenario — that you need a new furnace or boiler. However, this may not be the case. There may be a simple reason that your system may not be heating your Phenix City, AL, home.
Common Heater Problems
It is possible that the thermostat isn’t programmed correctly, that it is still in cooling mode, or that the batteries need to be replaced. Other common causes include:
- Fuel – If there is no heat from furnace, it is possible that your gas has been turned off or you may have run out of oil.
- Pilot Light – If there is no pilot light, try to relight it. Many heaters have automatic electronic ignition, so if your pilot light will not light, call for service because you may need service to replace this part.
- Air Filters – Be sure to change or clean your air filters every month as needed and keep registers and radiators free of obstructions to ensure proper airflow.
Special Considerations for Boilers
If you have a boiler, there are additional problems you’ll need to rule out:
- Is there enough water in the system? – A boiler with an automatic filling system should have its pressure relief valve kept at 12-15 psi. If your system does not have a pressure relief valve, you can add water to your boiler by opening the valve to raise the pressure to 12 psi.
- Is there a leak? – If you see water leaking around your boiler, you need to call for service. A professional can determine whether the leak is coming from your system’s pressure valve, pipes, or pump.
- Are some rooms not getting heat? – Cold rooms may mean that there is excess air in your heating pipes. You will need to bleed the radiators by opening the bleed valve to allow the excess air to escape. Close the valve once water begins to squirt out of the valve.
You can avoid many problems during the heating system by having your heater serviced. If you encounter a problem with your system, call Riley Heating & Air Conditioning at 334-298-1278. Our trained technicians will quickly diagnose the problem and make recommendations for repairs or replacement.